View Single Post
Old 10-26-2013, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Cornwallis View Post
I see a lot of hackjob lawn services around here but it seems like a lot of customers don't really care, I see the same crews of guys hacking up lawns week after week after week in my own neighborhood. It seems like as long as the home owners association doesn't ***** their ok. I take my time on each and every lawn; I don't rush and I don't leave until it's finished. My average residential account is around $120 a month and $150 for a corner lot, which includes keeping the flower beds weed free and hedges trimmed. I get a lot of weird looks until people see my work.

The funny thing is I don't have to slow down that much to make a yard look really, really good.

I used to do the same thing. Charge More but take my time and do excellent work. Fact is I did that for Too Many Years before I got smart.

Now I make more money with less effort doing the Blow & Go type work. While there are a few PITA people who could tell the difference, most customer really don't care if their landscape is perfect.

Since I only do Pest Control, I even went after the working class market for Fire Ant Control only. My route is now 50/50 Fert & Squirt vs Ant control. I charge less for ant control than Full Service Fert & Squirt but make more money per stop. Gasoline to get to the job costs me more than the Product I use to kill their Fire Ants. Fertilizer/Pesticides are costing me 30% to 35% plus the extra time and hassle.

It is all about a Marketing Plan. Each type of service has it's advantages. I admit Super fine work has a excellent customer loyalty. Blow & Go will leave you for $ 2.00 less a Treatment. Upscale customers are much quicker to pay on time, In fact I have had them chase me down the street to pay me.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.

Page generated in 0.03182 seconds with 7 queries