View Single Post
Old 10-26-2013, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Cornwallis View Post
I see a lot of hackjob lawn services around here but it seems like a lot of customers don't really care, I see the same crews of guys hacking up lawns week after week after week in my own neighborhood. It seems like as long as the home owners association doesn't ***** their ok. I take my time on each and every lawn; I don't rush and I don't leave until it's finished. My average residential account is around $120 a month and $150 for a corner lot, which includes keeping the flower beds weed free and hedges trimmed. I get a lot of weird looks until people see my work.

The funny thing is I don't have to slow down that much to make a yard look really, really good.

I used to do the same thing. Charge More but take my time and do excellent work. Fact is I did that for Too Many Years before I got smart.

Now I make more money with less effort doing the Blow & Go type work. While there are a few PITA people who could tell the difference, most customer really don't care if their landscape is perfect.

Since I only do Pest Control, I even went after the working class market for Fire Ant Control only. My route is now 50/50 Fert & Squirt vs Ant control. I charge less for ant control than Full Service Fert & Squirt but make more money per stop. Gasoline to get to the job costs me more than the Product I use to kill their Fire Ants. Fertilizer/Pesticides are costing me 30% to 35% plus the extra time and hassle.

It is all about a Marketing Plan. Each type of service has it's advantages. I admit Super fine work has a excellent customer loyalty. Blow & Go will leave you for $ 2.00 less a Treatment. Upscale customers are much quicker to pay on time, In fact I have had them chase me down the street to pay me.

it is one thing to do a off label applications. It is total stupidity to post it on the world wide web and expect people to approve.

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

My People Skills are Fine. It is my Idiot Tolerance Skills That needs Work.

Page generated in 0.03309 seconds with 8 queries