View Single Post
Old 11-05-2013, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbotsford View Post
If you are short of work, you never say 'no'

But put a realistic cost on it. Price is at a point that you wouldn't drop them if a normally priced contract came up locally. That may mean 85, Or 105 instead of 50.

He may be in a bind, because the last guy couldn't make it at $50. If you think so, explain this to him too. I find that if people understand where I'm coming from, they are more willing to pay a living wage.

In fairness to them, explain that it is out of your normal working area, and you are charging $XX extra because of that. But that if you can get another contract, you will split the XX extra between the two contracts. This gives him an incentive to talk you up to other people there.
This is very good advice.

I'll add that you explain to them that you will be charging $xx plus you are willing to only charge 1/2 of $xx trip charge on top of that for the first month and if you get another client in the area the price will stay the same, otherwise you will have to either start charging him the full price for the trip charge or discontinue service. Then explain to him that the more clients that you get in the area the less money each one of those clients has to contribute to the trip charge to cover your expenses to service the area.
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
Stihl HS56C Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS391 25" Bar Chainsaw
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
Earthquake 16" Rear Tine Tiller
Honda 9" Mini Tiller FG110