View Single Post
Old 11-07-2013, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Different Microbes Now???

I've been mulch mowing a lot of area that has not been allowed to even keep its grass clipping until this past Summer... The ground was dry and dusty in the past with a lot of bare soil between individual grass plants,,, now getting mulched over a bit...

Anyways, we recycled the grass clipping during the warm moist weather and they were disintegrating quickly through microbial activity, I'm assuming...

Now we are mulching in some pine needles and maple leaves through a process of double mowing and we now have more moisture, but cooler temperatures and of course a more varied food source...

Should we imagine that the microbe populations are different now becuz of a different environment?
What amendments would work best to aid in the decomposition of this type of organic matter??
Would the melting snow and the freeze/thaw cycle cause a much more active microbe population to take care of this material in the Spring???

I'm thinking compost in the Spring for certain areas that are more barren and need of seed...
Is there a better way???

Page generated in 0.04567 seconds with 7 queries