View Single Post
Old 11-08-2013, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWJ Services View Post
Why should you lower the rated flow because of a restriction in the connection? The manufacturer rates the machines with no restrictions. It's up to the owner to take advantage of it.The Aux circuit is electronically adjustable on most all of the new min ex's. The ones that are not it is easy to turn them up to max flow. The only other thing is to check the relief pressure on the aux circuit. It is usally less than the main pump relief. I also verified my machines flow with the cutters rpm.
Keep in mind the different hose sizes (think blood pressure higher when vessels constricted) can affect psi and flow. Valve blocks, diverters, and coupler restrictions on both sides (machine and attachment) also play a part. The local CAT dealer, a big one, was drilling out couplers to reduce flow restriction on XPS skid steers but then I started wondering how that affected psi?

I've seen relief valves kick in too early, flow rates decrease significantly with RPM drop, etc. It is really hard to have a one-size fits all scenario.

I'd like to own a flow meter (anyone know where to get one for a Bobcat?) just for the hell of it. I'd like to flow test my excavator (supposed to be 19 gpm at 3000 psi) as well as my toolcat (26 gpm at 3000 psi on high flow) just to see where they are at. I don't run much more than a grapple and mower on the toolcat and a thumb on the excavator but I'd still like to see where they line up with Bobcat's specs.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing

Page generated in 0.04083 seconds with 7 queries