View Single Post
Old 11-09-2013, 06:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
I think...yes...you now will have different microbes predominating. Different food source and cooler temperatures. Slower overall due to low temps--but --high moisture is a slight help.

Years ago there were a couple products on the market called "Compost starters" or something similar. Contained bacteria and fungi a a powder that would break down the grass clippings and leaves either in the lawn or in an actual compost heap--that is--if you believe the advertising and promotional material. I didn't notice any difference...but...if anyone knows of a product that actually works...I would be interested.
Example:
http://www.gardeners.com/superhot-co...efault,pd.html
I was just wondering if the microbes that have been eating the grass clippings all Summer would also be eating the leaves... I don't think so, but who knows...

We've had a lot more moisture and a lot more germination in the past couple weeks, so life continues to go on around here, in spite of the freezing nights... It is likely that decomp has started, although 'slowly' as you say...

The other thing that occurred to me about getting all those leaves to mulch into the grass is that,,, decomposition ties up Nitrogen...
So now I wonder if the decomp has started, will it affect the amount of N, available to the grass???
Any thoughts about that???

Page generated in 0.03968 seconds with 7 queries