Thread: Bagged Compost
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2013, 03:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick13 View Post
Your best bet if you are thinking about getting into top-spreading would be to skip the bags and get either a truck bed, trailer, or dump trailer full of organic compost.

I did a quick Google search in your area, and here's a link for bulk organic compost at $25.00 a ton (just a quick scan of their website).

http://www.co.olmsted.mn.us/environm...s/default.aspx

Their address is: Silver Creek Road NE in Rochester, MN

This would be your best bang for the buck. Plus shoveling higher than your top dresser machine is easier when your above it. Just pick up a little step stool to step in and out easier.

I can move about 10,000 pounds of compost in 4 to 5 hours. And you should charge about $60 to $100 a ton. This would include organic compost, delivery, spreading, clean up, and the customer buys their seed.

So if the seed doesn't germinate....then it's their problem and not yours. I just direct them to the "Big Box Stores" since they usually have a high turn over rate of material....because with all this work you put into the yard....if the seed is not good....then the customer isn't getting all the benefits of organic compost.

2,000 pounds (1 ton) of compost for $25.00 or 2,000 pounds (1 ton) of bag compost (40 pounds a bag @ $4.00 or higher per bag & tax) would = $200.00 or higher at Big Box Stores.

Go with the local compost and get something to haul it.
Thanks..I have used our county compost site for my own purposes. I am concerned that any bulk compost you would get from a municipality would not be 'cooked' well. Heck, I can see the pile steaming when I scoop a foot or so into it.

Also, bagged would allow me to use my enclosed trailer as opposed to having to buy a truck or a dump trailer, The barriers to entry are lower if you use bagged material. I am not super concerned about the price of the compost - that just gets passed along to the customer. For a super premium service, they can expect to pay well for this BUT the results are so worth it.

I do respect your thoughts on bulk though. I just can't wrap my mind around what a pain in the neck it is to haul that bulk material around and then have to scoop every square inch of it.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13

Page generated in 0.03929 seconds with 7 queries