View Single Post
Old 11-20-2013, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrostis View Post
The first thing you need to realize is that the best time to plant grass is around Sept. 1, maybe 2 week's earlier if your in upstate NY. Cool season grass (like fescue, kentucky bluegrass and rye) planted in the spring do's not have the root system to make it through the summer heat, especially if you don't have automatic irrigation.

There is a lot you can do between now and then though. You might be surprised how fast time go's by when you are getting ready to do something like this. This can turn into a big commitment, time and money-wise. If you want to do this then i will help you out, but you have to be willing to do it right.
I'm willing to do whatever it takes to get that grass going. Only thing I can't buy right now is equipment, I do have a lawn mower and leaf blower! And I know what you mean by the time passing by... it does go quick!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyuser View Post
Your next best bet for planting is April. Be sure not to apply pre-m products for crabgrass control. This will also hinder growth. The soil should be will admended so mushroom manure and starter fertilizer should be mixed with seed. Use a four way seed mix as it will give you the best change for success. Be sure to mulch clippings as it is best to thicken lawn.
A four way seed mix... where would I go about on getting this and when would I need to apply it, in April? Also, what do you mean by mulch clippings? Does this refer to when I'm mowing the lawn right now, to mulch the grass clippings? and should I be cutting short, or not?

Thank you both!

Page generated in 0.03823 seconds with 7 queries