View Single Post
Old 11-20-2013, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Lawnworks View Post
I thought this would be a good discussion, as in most industries, each manufacturer has one or two product roll-outs or strategies that leaves you wondering what they were thinking (i.e. 4-cylinder Camaro in the 1980s').

2.) Lawn-Boy's discontinuance of the 2-cycle push (or self-propel) mower. These things were legendary. They could at least make a decent four-stroke push mower if the decision was really emissions-driven, but they can't even do that. The Insight series of push mowers was junk, as are the latest models that the new parent company (Toro, I believe?) is selling. Honestly, how hard is it to put a proven homeowner's grade engine on a sturdy deck with a blade under it?

4.) As far as the industry as a whole goes, I'm going to add the EPA's CARB gas cans. What a joke. Have the people writing the laws actually had to use one of these cans themselves? There is no reason why a simple plastic gas can in the 21st century should have safety locks or vapor control devices (unless they actually didn't cause you to spill more fuel than a traditional fuel can).

5.) Ethanol! I don't think we've seen the tip of the iceberg with this stuff's propensity to degrade engine and fuel system components, either in the green or the automotive industry. When enough people realize that it's just welfare for mega-farms in a handful of politically-connected states, we'll end this nonsense.
Lawnboys.....Man I grew up in this industry using them...first 19's and then 21's get use to the stagger design and they were easy to push. M- series....man i thought it was sweet to only have to poor pure gas. All you had to do was fill up the 2 cycle oil every blue moon. THEN OYSTER MARINE SOLD TO TORO!.....Toro decided to stop the improvements because they just bought the company and never had any intention of keeping the brand a viable compitor to their commercial grade mowers using the 2 cycle suziki engines.(they sucked!)The coup de grass was when they decided to sell in the big box stores. Weststar (CA OR WA UT NV WY AZ CO...basicly the west of Rockies) told toro to come and get their rail cars of parts and mowers and take a hike... The irony is even though they became extinct here in CA, the small blocks are still manufactured here in FRemont. There are still the Japaneses, Basque and Mexicans still using 20 year old bodies and replacing engines when ever. And yes....toro didn't want to put the money into getting this machine to meet c.a.r.b. teir III level.

C.A.R.B. containers.....the best one out their and worth their wait in gold are the NoSpill brand gas cans. They were bought by Honda and are a Honda item also. 5 gal can to empty no more than 2.5 minutes. Other than that everything sucks!

Ethanol....well until we figure out a way so we don't breathe the pollution that is out their, then there has to be some kind of solution their. Until you see the smog that looks as bad a tule fog (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tule_fog), you wouldn't understand the need to do something about it. Have 2 kids with asthma and you'll understand even more. Fouling spark plugs....seen that and haven't had a problem ever since I started using at least 89 octane gas. As far as destroying engines....well that's left to be seen....Here in CA, we had more of an issue with MTBE in our gas. Shhhhh.....the chemical cleaned our air.....but it poison our water supply.....this is one time that you should be happy CA is more progressive about air pollution.....they(law makers and Air Resource Board) didn't believe the states scientist that there was a strong provability it would poison our water supply.

Page generated in 0.03898 seconds with 7 queries