View Single Post
Old 12-01-2013, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
Nice thread Smallaxe. Some of the best soils on the planet are in Iowa. A result of several glaciers that passed through.

To improve poor/heavy soils that do not percolate well =

Mechanical methods?

Topical products?

bump
What we got over here from the glacier is huge, deep gouges in the surface, over a foundation layer of granite... A lot of tumbled field stone, from as large as a volkswagon right down to the size of rock gravel and sand, usually all mixed together; so picking rock here is almost as bad as in Ireland... Our general area is sand,,, which makes potatoes a great crop if there is irrigation available...

Wisco also has areas that are thick with clay, scattered about the base layer of sand and rock... so the construction yards mine the clay, remix with sand, along with Compost,,, then sells as topsoil...
Great stuff but with overly frequent irrigation the mix begins to separate and too much clay gets floated to the top of the soil's horizon and will actually form a 'layer' void of sand...

As farmers, we often mention the topsoils in the corn belt states... 6' thick layer of the rich, black dirt that you can hardly believe exists...
They say 45% clay, 45% sand and 10% silt/OM is about the perfect mix...

How do your average soils line up with that standard???

Page generated in 0.04261 seconds with 7 queries