View Single Post
Old 12-02-2013, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Growing up on the farm and digging in the dirt for post holes is also where I started learning about our geology... Our farm was one of the spots that had a clay deposit, whereas the tri-county region around us was mostly sand all the way to the water table...

Our clay in the fields was about 2.5 feet thick,,, with a layer of 2-4 inch tumbled rock and clay for another 8" below that,,, then a myriad of sands underneath... we are on high ground,,, whereas the sandy regions are in lowlands, rivers and lakes... the place was logged off and tilled about a hundred years ago so the top 18" of clay has the typical dark color of humus in the soil,,, underneath is red clay that is still sticky when wet...

So what has been the Lawn Care Culture in your area??? With the excellent deep soils, is there a lot of irrigated lawns AND do they bag the clippings???

In our sand around the lakes, rivers, and stream, we have a culture of irrigation, because:
"... the only possibility way to have grass, is with a lot of water and that 'bagging' is the best thing for your turf!"
How does that philosophy compare with your region of the Midwest???

Page generated in 0.03625 seconds with 7 queries