View Single Post
Old 12-05-2013, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreplease View Post
She lists the main factors influencing infiltration as sand, loam (rather than silt), and clay. Do you think this is an intentional simplification/dumbing down?
Yes and no. Generally speaking, infiltration rate is directly proportional to particle size.

Quote:
Axe later refers to these same 3 from his high school ag classes. Do various parts of the country and world use another model vs the traditional soil triangle?
There are different classification systems, how many different ones I wouldn't know off hand. Here is some discussion on it. I did not read it so I don't know if it is all inclusive.

http://cals.arizona.edu/OALS/soils/classifsystems.html

Quote:
I find that people describe or specify loam as though it is a specific material rather than a term encompassing a range of combinations of sand, silt, and clay. Always reminds me of someone who would order 'the fish' in a restaurant, ignoring that the choices are perch, salmon, and sea bass. The fish stew would contain, within constraints, some of each of the 3 fish.
Yes, incorrect region specific uses of the word loam, and it doesn't stop there.

Quote:
Overall I think that extension piece is a good quick overview on things that influence water infiltration but am unclear on her intent.
A very general illustration of principles without getting too technical about the subject. Think of it like conceptual soil science for idiots.

Page generated in 0.04258 seconds with 7 queries