View Single Post
Old 12-19-2013, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

This is an interesting topic. We touched on it a bit in this thread:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=414570

My comment was:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipster View Post
This is an interesting topic. The crop world, single-site turf world (golf, sports turf, sod production), and academic world are very concerned about control product resistance. But, it doesn't seem to get very much air time in LCO (I can think of several reasons for this and not all of them are bad).

Are you guys hearing much about product resistance and product rotation in your areas/states?

Are there any LCO-specific organizations that talk about this?

TPI (Turf Producers International -- the sod growers association), GCSAA (golf course superintendents association), and STMA (sports turf managers association) talk about this topic A LOT. But, I haven't heard a word about it from PLANET.

What do you guys think about product resistance and rotation? Is it as important in LCO as it is in golf, sports, and sod?
I attended a meeting on herbicide resistance with Bayer researchers and university researchers earlier this week. Resistance is a very important topic in their minds because they work a lot in single-site management conditions. They don't understand lawn care very well.

For example, there was a large lawn care consumer study conducted by the USDA a couple of years ago (2009, I think). It was BIG -- over 100,000 respondents spread over each US state. It turned out that only 50% of home occupants made any type of application to their lawn at all. Of that amount, 75% were DIY (37.5% of total) and only 25% were DIFM (do it for me) (12.5% of total). Of the DIYers, only about 10% (~4% of total) used any kind of herbicides. The remaining 75% of DIYers (~31% of total) only applied fertilizers. About 10% of those fert apps (~3% of total lawns) made more than one app/yr.

To cut to the chase, the survey estimated that only about 16% of lawns in the US (about 1 in 6) have any herbicides applied to them at all. The DIYers usually only make one app of herbicide/yr: a PRE labeled as a crabgrass preventer.

I agree that blanket applications of herbicides when spot treatments would just as well are detrimental. But, when we look at the % of available acreage to which herbicides are applied is much lower for lawns than golf courses.

Page generated in 0.03692 seconds with 7 queries