View Single Post
Old 12-24-2013, 02:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J & D Greens View Post
I have started a solo mowing and snow clearing Biz. It is just going to school at my age does not appeal to me. I stay very busy though until the snow starts flying. I don't get too involved with landscaping but I want to learn enough to do my own yard up a little better.
I do know one thing at my age I feel every injury I had while riding my bike. (but I still would do it all over again). Back in the day I would ride with some of the top A riders on the 125cc bikes in the state. Man those guys were fast, I never had the money to race much and those guys were sponsored by Honda and Yamaha. Those were the days when after work was done I would load up and head to the track at least every other day.
I quit riding altogether when I met my wife.
It can be tough to go to school after you're above the age of about 22-23.

You can definitely learn a good bit of info on hardscapes from that section of this site. I haven't spent much time in there as I learned a lot from my teacher (such as the rainwater recycling system permeable paver patio/waterfall project we built in school fall 2012) that owns a high end hardscape company, as I type he's probably carving a bathtub out of a 12,000 lb boulder which has become his new niche. Carving boulders into chairs and tables with fire rock in the center, I think I have pics of them from his MN State Fair display in this thread.

Anyway, kinda got off topic. I enjoy doing hardscapes however last year it was extremely hard to find good help that knew what they were doing when it came to hardscapes, especially because I couldn't offer a full time position and until I purchase a dump trailer (next big purchase), concrete saw, compactor, & skid, I'm set up just right yet.

You were probably running A class when Andrew Short was coming up through the ranks being as he's from Colorado Springs? I'm definitely nowhere near A class pace and probably won't be until maybe the 25+ class when I'm out of the field and not worrying about getting the field labor done on Monday if I'm sore/injured. I'm too afraid to crash, I'd rather not feel pain. One very bad shoulder injury & getting knocked out in the same crash my first year on 85s in 2004 has pretty much scared me into taking it easy as I get older. Back when I was a junior/senior in high school in 07-09, I was a lot more aggressive and more fearless.
2014 Diamond Cargo 8.5' x 20' Enclosed Trailer - Fully Loaded Interior
Exmark Lazer Z X-Series 52" w/ Ultravac
Exmark TTHP 36"

Graduate - Anoka Technical College w/ Associate's in Hort/Landscape - May 2013
In business since Feb 2011
23 Years Old

When you have systems, you have control.

If youíre born poor, itís not your mistake. But if you die poor, it is your mistake.

Page generated in 0.03288 seconds with 7 queries