View Single Post
Old 12-30-2013, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipster;4926381[B
]In the south, there are usually 1 or 2 PRE apps/yr. [/B] In the north, there is just one PRE /yr. About 75% of courses apply only to fairways, while the rest apply to fairways and roughs. POST apps are strictly on a spot basis. Herbicides are not a big thing in golf.

This is what I do here....

I would expect that PRE apps are broadcast, but I find that POST apps are rarely needed to be done as broadcast. Do we really need to spray POST products where there are no weeds?

I find that weed pressure gradually gets worse as Spring rolls on. Many of my customers have lawns carved out of pastures and those especially tend to be worse. I am also picking up new sales which are generally infested with Henbit, Dednettle and Chickweed. Post is definitely needed here.

Rotating modes of action is the critical part here. Applying Manor, then Celsius, then Tribute Total, then Monument would only making things worse.

2 of those products I have never used...

Combining products when the combinations aren't needed can make resistance worse. In combination products, the combination doesn't usually kill any weed faster or better, it just broadens the spectrum of activity. Adding dicamba to 2,4-D doesn't make the 2,4-D work better. It just picks up some things that 2,4-D misses. Dicamba is weak on the perennial clovers that 2,4-D controls, but D is weak on the thistles and plantains that dicamba controls really well.

That's really all I am doing with the combinations I use. I use them to broaden the spectrum of control and I use products that offer different modes of action.

What combinations do you like to put together?

Just a for instance. I the Spring I apply a 3-way herbicide in combination with Simazine. This broadens my spectrum of control.

What I meant by "flavor-of-the-month" was that some guys add a POST to their tank (Trimec, Manor, Celsius) and broadcast treat lawns simply because it is a particular time of year and that's what they've always done. "Well, it's February and the weather's warming up, so I better broadcast 3-way now. Uh oh, it's June now, so I need to broadcast the Celsius."

We for the most part spot spray with backpack sprayers. Occasionally we use the Zspray tank/wand but I'm a big believer in walking the lawns. From the 1st of May to the 1st of October nothing gets a broadcast app of anything by us unless absolutely necessary.

I see a lot of guys on this board who think that POST materials must be applied broadcast to get the best control. And they will apply the same things multiple times/yr every year to every lawn, whether there are weeds present or not. I'd like to see more of an IPM approach that understands that not every lawn needs to be blanketed. I have very few weed calls and I only blanket about 15% of my customer base with PRE. On the 85% that don't get blanketed, we apply only in high-risk areas and we vigorously scout that lawns and document any weed breakthroughs. I buy less than quarter of the herbicide that my smallest competitor does and I have cleaner lawns.
[B]You are in Billings, MT. I am in Central Arkansas with semi-tropical conditions and a 9 month growing season not to mention the extreme weed pressure. We carry a three pronged mini cultivator as well as an A.M Leonard soil knife for digging weeds on our ride on units....they get used.

[/B]We do only what we must do to keep our lawns weed free...Nothing more, nothing less.

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor

Last edited by ted putnam; 12-30-2013 at 10:59 PM.

Page generated in 0.03200 seconds with 7 queries