View Single Post
Old 01-20-2014, 12:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

1.) That there are only a few doing it right.... Meaning there are only a few you can truly learn from how to actually run a landscaping business vs. owning a job

2.) The reality of failure displayed on lawnsite day in and day out. Meaning how so many are unprepared, have no plan, are technicians vs business owners, etc.. Hard to truly learn how to do things correctly, unless learning to not do what someone did.

Meaning there are only a few you can truly learn from how to actually run a landscaping business vs. owning a job

3.) Ease of entry and the easy scope of most of the work involved (maintenance side). Lose your job as minimum wage employee, start a landscaping business.

Meaning there are only a few you can truly learn from how to actually run a landscaping business vs. owning a job.

4.) Weather (but you can't control that)

5.) Equipment breakdowns.

I've gained a lot of knowledge from this site but I think I've learned more of what not to do that what to do. I read books by Tony Bass & Marty Grunder, read threads by ETW, PerfectEarth, Pro Turf, Eagle Landscape, and probably a few others I'm forgetting, and I truly believe that you can do well in this business. I'll get all my plans together and feel good about the upcoming year and say "Eh, lets check out lawnsite again". When done reading for 15mins to half hour I feel more pessimistic about this business. Eventually it wears off and I once again pay attention to just the businesses that have great ideas to offer vs what we should be charging for mulch....(which can be valid). I only became aware of this thread because of Sean's blog so I searched it out.

I'm just so confused at why with the names above they see such abundance with this industry and seem to have created much success whereas someone like Kelly's Landscaping seems to post negativity towards many aspects of the business most of the time. (Not a shot at you Kelly just something I notice with your posts and you do bring many valid points to the table)

Sorry if I took this off the topic but as much as this site helps it may be on that list Sean asked for, just not at the top 5.... Yea yea I know I can leave but it's still a good resource from time to time and enjoy seeing some of the incredible work people do from unreal stripes to landscapes that make your jaw drop. But again people post more on forums about frustrations and dislikes than ultimate success stories.

Page generated in 0.03375 seconds with 7 queries