View Single Post
Old 01-24-2014, 01:20 PM
Trees Too's Avatar
Trees Too Trees Too is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: USDA Zone 6a
Posts: 1,845

Originally Posted by SchannaultROLC View Post
It all varies by state, and if the DOT number you use is an intrastate or an interstate number. Once you go interstate, then you have to abide by all the federal laws and inspections (safety, fuel tax, etc.), but the only way I see an LCO using an interstate DOT number is if they operate in multiple states.
I have an intrastate DOT number, as most people should, so I have to abide by my state DOT regulations, not the federal regs. So, in MI, CDL is required when your GVWR is 26,001+, 16+ passengers, or hazmat.
The Chauffeurs License is the second option here. If your GVWR is 10,001 and used commercially, you need a Chauffeurs, also applies to driving passenger vehicles like taxis, limos, etc.
Like everyone says, it just applies to your state. If you're never going to run anything more than a one ton, then a CDL isn't really required. The problem is, you hook your F350 dump truck up with a GVWR of 19500 to an equipment trailer with a GVWR or 10000, you're in CDL territory.
I have a Chauffeurs myself.
Thanks everyone! As I said initially, I've seen at least a couple of threads on here as to when a company's fleet is required to have USDOT #'s on their trucks. For those the do have USDOT #'s, then their drivers are required to have a bi-annual DOT physical, and carry a "Medial Examiners Certificate" verifying the bi-annual physical.

Regarding USDOT #'s on truck, check out this site...
Reply With Quote
Page generated in 0.04316 seconds with 8 queries