View Single Post
Old 01-30-2014, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 seasons lawn&land View Post
It is for new service on a private road, about 2000 feet. 2 houses and at the end, my shop, with welder and all of that kind of stuff. Engineer likes copper I guess, he said aluminum would have to be 750 mcm. The prices are just all over the place though. Like I said from 8 k to 50 k for the same thing as far as I can tell.

I was told to do 4 inch conduit
Copper is about 4 or 5 times as expensvive as alu. Direct burial wire( no conduit is about 20% more and I would do conduit if it was my house. None of the power companies here use conduit. None of the power companies here use copper for neighborhood services.
Normally here with a run like that the power company would drop a step down transformer on the property.
I also will add that 500mcm is not ideal for that run and that load. It is only rated for 380 to 400 amps and the volt drop at high loads will be excessive.

Aluminum does have less amperage capacity for equal size but the cheaper cost offsets that. 750mcm Alu should be about 2.50- 3.50 a foot. 500mcm Copper will be about 10.00-12.00 a ft. Easy choice in my book.

Is this a single phase service? What voltage?

Page generated in 0.04073 seconds with 7 queries