View Single Post
Old 02-10-2014, 02:05 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonesLawnCareWV View Post
With reference to those who I got aggravated with for telling me maybe I'm not ready for the business, I apologize. I took the rest of yesterday and all of today and completely put my business out of my head. I got too wrapped up in concerns over money and insurance that I lost sight of why I'm here in the first place; to cut grass, because I love doing it. I realize that the guys telling me "doesn't seem like you're ready" are (partially) the ones that I wanted to hear from in the first place. I came here asking for info on insurance and received info that I didn't want to hear, and I got defensive about it. Now that I've took some time, I realize these guys are only giving me advice because they have been there and done that, which is what I was asking for in the first place.
So my sincerest apologies to those guys. I may very well put aside my plans to buy a new trailer and use that money towards insurance for this season and pick up a new trailer later in the season if my profit allows. Definitely going to write out how that mulch job should've been priced, however, and have a businessman-to-businessman talk with my fathers boss and hopefully come to a good meeting point on the remaining work required to pick up one of those walk behinds. While I like the idea of having a hydro, I definitely wouldn't be upset picking up a belt-drive for little to nothing (should make a HUGE difference in my cut times, going from a home owner 22 to a commercial 48.) If I have to deal with the harbor freight trailer for another year, so be it. I'm here to do what I enjoy, not be the most profitable and best looking LCO in the area.

Thanks to the guys who helped me realize this.
Upgrading to a legitimate commercial mower is all the difference. What kind of push are you using? As in brand? Is it self propelled? Are you mulching or bagging?

Lots of guys use strictly 22s, some use exmark 30s, but if you're doing anything that's decent sized, you won't be able to build with a small one. I know I talked bad about the HF trailer, but definitely a bigger mower should be higher on your list.

Hydro is great, but belt drives are still a standard and absolutely great machines.

Don't try and shake down that customer for cash. Just set prices for this year. Set an amount of work for the mower, don't just wait for him to say you've done enough.

Just plan, be smart about what you do, and you'll be fine. Lawn care is an easy business to get into, but that just makes it that much harder to be a success. Charge what your market will bare, keep your expenses down, ect. Again, it's a business, your business, act like it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Page generated in 0.03099 seconds with 7 queries