View Single Post
  #8  
Old 02-25-2014, 01:11 AM
JimLewis's Avatar
JimLewis JimLewis is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 6,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowingman View Post
I suggest you stay away from that kind of work. Around here, ALL builders want the install work done dirt cheap. They have no loyalty to anyone, and will change to someone else if they find they can save $5.00 on a $5,000 install job.
It might be different in your area, but around here, there is little money to be made working for homebuilders. Oh, good luck on getting paid on a timely basis, also.
I agree with that. Around here it's about the same thing. There are a VERY FEW builders who will actually pay what they should pay for nice landscapes. But we're talking like 1% or so. The other 99% are just like MowinMan describes.


Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
Mowingman is painting with a broad brush. You need to find the right builder who runs an operation similar to yours and will be loyal to you. The good builders have been burned by bad landscapers just like good scapers have been burned by bad builders
That's sort of true. There are a FEW builders who will allow for a reasonable budget and are willing to pay for high end landscapes. But they're so few, in my experience anyway, that they just aren't worth chasing.

I don't even waste my time talking to them anymore. Every single time I've done it I've had the same bad experience. They turned out to be a total cheapskate, wanting me to cut corners and do landscapes for half the price that I normally do. No thank you.

I would say 100% of builders are like that. Except for the fact that a real good friend of mine who owns a really big landscaping company in the area gets most of his work from a real high end builder. He swears to me that this builder (and 1 or 2 others he works for) really do pay him great money and allow them to do really big high-end jobs. And I see him doing them. So I believe him. But that's the only landscaper in town who I see getting good money and doing really nice quality jobs from builders. The rest of the landscapers who are working for builders have given in to their demands; cut corners, slap in cheap landscapes, no soil amendments at all, cheap sprinkler systems with cheap parts - just throw water everywhere with one zone, cheap hardscape work. All crap. I'm never going to put our company name on something like that.

High end resi. is where it's at, IMO.
__________________
Jim Lewis
Lewis Landscape Services - Oregon
"kickin' grass and takin' names"


www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Reply With Quote
 
Page generated in 0.03267 seconds with 7 queries