View Single Post
Old 02-25-2014, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmonkey0311 View Post
Re-read what you just said. He bailed on you for more money. So that proves my point....employees don't give a shyt about your business.

There was a post comparing lawn care employees to fast food workers. There is really no skill in lawn mowing, and there is really no skill working the french fries at McDonalds. The only difference is the lawn employee gets a small break between jobs AKA travel time. If the pay was that bad at a fast food place, how do they still employ anyone?????? We all say we wish we were more profitable, well stop hiring guys at $20 an hour only to complain he took advantage of you/called out too much/started drama/etc. Posting jobs starting at $20 an hour will only get you a lot more deadbeat applicants who want $20 an hour, half of which will only tell you what you want to hear to get their $20 an hour.
I agree to a certain extent, and disagree as well.

Most people view lawn mowing as a low skill/no skill position. If that's all you want is a guy to sit on a mower or run a trimmer then maybe that's true. But to learn how to truly do a professional, quality job at a good pace.....I believe it takes more than a 2 or 4 week training period to get to that point. If it's such a low skill job...lwhy are there so many potential hires out there that plain old suck? I want and seek employees that are more than just "capable of doing the job"

Regarding "overpaying"...I touched on it a few times but since you mentioned it ill go a little more in depth. Paying more definitly DOES NOT guarantee you'll get better help. Your interviewing and hiring process will determine the quality of employee you end up with.
However, higher starting pay will attract higher quality people to apply, as well as help to retain these employees later.

I guess in the end it all depends on your expectations. I run a small company that (I believe) does high quality work. I want employees that I don't have to babysit. I don't like when customers complain. I don't want employees that stop to take a cigarette break as soon as I leave a job. I want guys that can problem solve and resolve any random problems they encounter during the day without having to call me and ask what to do 40 times a day. I want guys that respect my expensive equipment.

And still not rich

Page generated in 0.03591 seconds with 7 queries