View Single Post
Old 03-18-2014, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik1981 View Post
Last year I bought my first 460 and was very impressed. I ordered it with the 31hp Kawasaki FX921v.
For next season I am looking adding two more 460's for my 2nd crew. My dilemma is which engine to go with... there is now an available 35hp Kawasaki FX1000v. I think it definitely makes sense to bump up in HP. I love HP and "No one ever complained about too much power". However, I have been talking to a few guys in my area that are running Exmarks with EFI and they say that they are saving a ton in fuel costs (over 30%). The trouble is that the only EFI offered on the 460 is a Kohler 26.5hp EFI.
Is the EFI worth the loss in HP?
Would I notice the difference in HP?
Does anyone know nything about fuel consumption with the Kawasaki FX1000v?

Hey sorry I haven't been on in a while. The efi kohler does save quite a bit on fuel compared to the 31 kawi. There is a trade off in the power department and if you are a power freak then the efi may not be right for you. The reason I say this is because the 460 we had with the 31 kawi would cut straight up a steep bank in 1' tall grass and it wouldnt slow down a lick. The efi kohler will slow down some. It does not have quite the "balls" the 31 kawi had.

BUT most of our lawns are not hilly and our lawns are weekly cuts so they dont ever get THAT deep so for us it is a non issue. We had serious backfire issues with our kawi when you start it and when you cut it off. It would also puff HUGE clouds of smoke once or twice a week when you start it and it consumed oil pretty fast. I started reading about the big block kawis failing around the 800 to 1200 hour mark coupled with the way our engine ran and our previous bad luck with other kawis I decided to trade it in with only 470 hours on it and get the kohler efi. I am VERY glad I did. It starts so easy, runs so smooth, uses less fuel, never backfires, never puffs any smoke and does not consume a drop of oil. BUT it doesn't have quite the power the 31 kawi did. I wouldn't dare try to run a rear bagger on it. Doesn't have enough power for that. It has been the best decision we have ever made getting rid of the kawi and going with the closed loop kohler efi. I really love it that much. Anything over the 31hp kawi is wayyyyyyy overkill on the 460. I mean big time waste of gas overkill.

So if you want or need tons of power go with the kawi. If your lawns are manicured weekly and you are not in a super hilly area go with the efi kohler.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)

Page generated in 0.04336 seconds with 7 queries