View Single Post
Old 03-22-2014, 02:17 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olajoe808 View Post
I just wrote a friggin essay response to this but will narrow it down. The answer is yes. Because of the unrealistic expectation of lumping vets in with vets. No two vets alike.

why do vets get lazy and not come to work.

because you aren't meeting their expectations (which frankly are very , maybe unrealistically, high)

You're undisciplined, unorganized, un focused and won't listen to subordinates.
They lose respect for you, and then that's it, done deal, they don't show up because it's not worth the tiny pay.

Before anyone opens up their mouth and says "Im not undisciplined, or unorganized!"
by military standards you are.

There are VERY few companies in existence working according to military efficiency.
Im not saying the military is perfect (far from it)
but it is what they are accustomed to, and adjusting to what's normal, and acceptable takes a LOT of time and practice….something they don't have, since they are just fresh back from the 'ghan.

I just hired a vet a month ago. 25Q (como) from 172nd Infantry.
his car is still in transpo from germany, so he doesn't have a ride to work, his phone got shut off, because he doesn't make very much and he's going through a divorce.

We were plowing a trailer park, and this guy wigged out on him (seriously the dude looked like he was the ultimate warrior from WWF and his face was about to explode is a mist of blood) for rolling a little snow into his "driveway"
We are not responsible for clearing driveways, just the access roads as per contract.
this was repeatedly reiterated to the resident.
but he kept shoveling his 'driveway' into the common road.
literally snowman high snow. some of that rolled back into his driveway (tough ShiZAT buddy)
anyway resident ready to blow a gasket runs at my employee (fresh vet) screaming and yelling.
I was able to get out of my truck to defuse the situation, sort of, before It became a rodeo where my employee showed the resident the bottom of his boot and what the the ground looked like up close and personal.

However, after that, I had to send the employee home, because he was now psychologically unable to work, following a potentially violent confrontation (PTSD clearly)
Ive had over a decade of practice… him? a month.

I talked to him about it 5 days later.
there is no going into it right then and there.
Takes time for that wound to stop oozing, and you have to just let it.

He now understands, something like that happens, he is to either just leave, or switch places with me (I was operating on the other end of the trailer park)
This is referred to as a 'Plan of action" or "SOP" (standard operating procedures)

Have these things in place, and it will be easier for vets to work with you.
Don't and they won't.

Most vets already don't trust/respect civilians. You have to earn that respect.
Thumping your chest and proclaiming "I Da Boss" doesn't establish that.

Soldiers/Airmen/Marines/Sailors follow their superiors because those superiors supply for them, look after them and take car of their needs, the reciprocate in return.
12-14/hr and a part time/seasonal job with no bennies… isn't doing that.

Page generated in 0.03432 seconds with 7 queries