View Single Post
Old 03-26-2014, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dathorpe View Post
When I read Nutsedge in Liriope, I almost fell out of my chair. That is EASILY number one! Remove it one week and it's back a week later! Props to AUturfman for reminding us of that hell.

Honestly, there's not much I hate about this business. I mean, all the usual suspects - slow pay customers, overly needy customers, dealing with immature employees, I agree with mdvaden on the government reg thing, equipment breakdowns during an already jam packed hectic day. Sure.

But the truth is I love this business. I mean friggin' LOVE it. I have no doubts that I chose the right career path. I've built my operation and molded it to fit MY life and I don't understand why others don't do the same. PLLandscaping mentioned reading, consistently, on this site about failures and complaints, etc. He wondered why there are not more "very successful" people posting on here. What's your definition of very successful? Are you talking about over 1 mill a year gross? 2 mil? I've known men who have huge bank accounts and are not content. I have 5 full time employees, hire on 2-3 more during the busy season, and in my eyes, I'm pretty damn successful. Maybe not in the way you would consider successful. Maybe some you laugh when reading that statement. But in my eyes, I am successful because I'm in the very place I hoped to be when I started my company. I make a comfortable living, I get to go on vacation for ten days every year, and I get to spend time with my family. I'm not a slave to my business. I like it, no, I love it THIS way. I don't want to become larger... though I believe I could. I don't want the hassles associated with becoming larger. I'm a very happy guy. That's my definition of success.

I read Mr. Kelly's comments about how he loves being "in the field". I can understand that. I love the field also - working on hardscape or plant install projects... or just mowing. But I believe my greatest strength is in sales so that's where I spend the vast majority of my time. Meeting potential customers and selling hardscape or plant installs or meeting existing clients and just walking around their yard with them and addressing their concerns. I love selling the job but I also love doing the job... if there's no one to meet that day.

Like any job, there are rough days. But overall, I got it friggin' made - can't knock the smile of my face.

So, PLLandscaping, there's a success story for you.

BTW, Mr. Kelly, I like the honesty in your posts.

I think you took what I said a little far. I think your story is one to learn from. You have employees, you make it so you have family and vacation time, you're not a slave to your business, and it sounds like the success most would seek to have. You are one who could probably answer a lot of questions about running a business. Things like ETWman brought up about running a business. So yes, you're a story of success then!

Page generated in 0.03954 seconds with 7 queries