Thread: Required PPE
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2014, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Member

Whoa....
Concessions regarding personal safety and life preservation?

Like Easyliftguy mentioned, Do you understand the ramifications of such a consession? or even the legalities of such?
The province/state, client, employee (and thier family) will ultimately hold you responsible for safety enforcement in the the event of an incident.

People working for us are our employees (or contractors or whatever other structure you use), often which we are friendly with, but ultimately at work, friendship stops and employment (and your leadership) carries on... Workplace safety enforcement cannot be a democratic process. I totally understand welcoming and even seeking input on certain decisions and activities. This is invaluable to the empowerment of your staff.
I accept all input from my guys, but I choose what input to act upon... My guys asked for faceshields for line-trimming acreage properties (long, thick weeds being wacked)... we bought them... My guys "forget" to wear thier earplugs or eye protection or other applicable PPE (dependent upon task at hand): work stops until they remember! (I've never made anyone use a hardhat or even a bump cap for mowing lol)

We are not always mindful of the fact that our people knowingly or unknowingly are most certainly looking up to us; for knowledge, a maximized paycheque (no matter the end result, it is what they are looking for) and thier health and safety in the workplace... just as we are looking to them for results and productivity.

While the absense of over-head hazards lessons the chances of contact being made with the hardhat (or lack thereof), some of the most dangerous hazards can be cause by equipment. How large of equipment you using?

I certainly hope that this is taken in a positive manner, and that these open fields are absent of heavy machinery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnGreen View Post
Thanks guys. I made a few concessions (no hard hats in open fields), they made a few (agreed to wear everything otherwise)...everyone is happy today. We'll see what happens once we start!
Grande Prairie, AB Canada
rosgrounds.com

Echo
2 x trimmers
hedge trimmer
backpack blower
chainsaw
Honda
Mid-tine roto-tiller
Yanmar
sx3100 compact tractor FEL
Exmark