View Single Post
Old 04-08-2014, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Our grasses don't actually go dormant until around November. I didn't think there was such thing as "too" much when it came to compost as long as you wasn't smothering the grass. The first application was "decomposed" or "no longer visible" after about the first 7-days. That's why the thought of 30-45 days seemed like enough time in between applications. As far as how much? I only plan to compost through the end of summer, which would be around the end of August early September. I probably won't compost in September and will end it at late August, but if I did include September we would be looking at 7 months x .25" which would be about 2.75" per year of organic material. Why so much? I ask myself the same thing. I'm mowing for a living. Why spend so much time on my lawn? To tell you the truth lawns has always been a passion and hobby for me. Working on my lawn gives me a feeling of a "break" not to mention I love "enjoying" my lawn in my free time. However, I'm HOPING to RADICALLY change our soil structure over a year or two. Most lawns around us are in very, very poor condition. Mostly because of one of two reasons. (Hot dry weather, No irrigation, Water Restrictions) or VERY POOR SOIL CONDITIONS, aside from the lawns that are neglected completely. We have irrigation, our lawn is certainly not neglected, the only downside we have is poor soil conditions, which I'm hoping to change over time. We have a high ph, low OM%, and good Potassium and Calcium. Iron is good, but I believe it's binded up with the high PH.

Page generated in 0.03939 seconds with 7 queries