View Single Post
Old 04-09-2014, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well, Dutch, "going to bed" seemed too final for the day's effort. "Retiring" is more of a transitional term to leave room for during-the-night revelations that may help solve the equipment problems for the day.

If I would have "retired" on Dec 30, 2013, then yesterday's issue would have never been uncovered. But, what good is a day without some problem to solve?

Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled programming ....

I used the machine for about three hours of service today. Oil loss continued, but probably was less than a half-cup (estimate by the oil level in the reservoir).

While working, I thought of the 2008 pump I had removed, now sitting on the shelf. When I got home, I pulled it off the shelf to see if the "just keep unscrewing the dump valve" advice given above. Yes, it came out. I see the O-ring, albeit a pretty small item.

I had a class tonight, and the NAPA store was on the way. I stopped, gave them my valve piece. After some experimenting, I came away with an O-ring to try. The shoulder looks pretty big to stretch the ring across. The existing one looks to be square in cross section. But, it may have been round at one time earlier in the lifecyle.

I shot some pics of the gear. The existing pump that is leaking has a label, BDP-10L-117P. The one on my shelf from 2008 is exactly the same. But, remember, these were on the original machine when I bought it long ago.

The replacement pump has a new designation, a PL... number.

Below are pics of the existing pump, leaking oil on the engine deck, the ID label, and a couple of pics of the dump valve pulled out of the shelf unit. The rest of the pics are on a DropBox folder. If somebody wishes to see more, PM and I will get you the link.

I plan to work a full schedule tomorrow, but Friday has rain in the forecast. Since the present arrangement is workable, albeit leaking some oil, I will use the good weather to mow grass. If the grounds are damp, then I can work with the new O-rings on the dump valve. I will let you know what happened.

Here is a YouTube video of a rebuild -- all gaskets and seals. The pump being rebuilt is a 10A, very similar to my unit. Is the procedure being used a good one? Is he giving reasonable advice on how to do this? If I choose to get a rebuild kit, I may wish to rebuild my shelf unit so that I have a spare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCVxU_UjzK4
Attached Images

Last edited by Roger; 04-09-2014 at 11:19 PM.

Page generated in 0.04345 seconds with 8 queries