View Single Post
Old 04-14-2014, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Member

I will weigh in on this one: It is getting harder and harder to find mowers with spindles you can grease/service. Maintenance free spindles are great for folks that can't or don't want to do regular service on their machinery. The industry claims the world of the products they are selling and there is no rock solid opinion to claim either way but it does not require an engineer to understand that maintenance free spindles are not getting any lubrication after they are manufactured. They may last a week or over 3000 hours. In my experience, if they get a few hundred hours they tend to make more noise apparently due to being dry. A spindle assembly costs around 80 to 100 dollars give or take if you can do it yourself and if you replace a mower every 4 or 5 years that is another factor to consider since the worn spindles will just go to the next owner. Now, serviceable spindles as well as other bearing surfaces on a machine, if greased regularly, will get lubrication throughout its life. Is this a guarantee that you will never have a bearing failure? Of course not, it is still a machine and things happen. I really like being able to grease any bearing or friction point possible for the most longevity and peace of mind. Some consider it a chore but until a machine is totally maintenance free, I don't mind greasing a few zerks while I am doing other service anyway. There are other factors I suppose: I am a small operator so I do not have a large inventory of machinery to service. I suppose those that do may like the convenience of maintenance free?

Page generated in 0.03506 seconds with 7 queries