View Single Post
Old 04-21-2014, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrostis View Post
That sound's like a misprint. Overseeding at 3 Lbs. per K is just right.

You do know that if you seed in the fall (that would be Aug 15 for your area) your chance of success probably go's up 75%? This isn't just my opinion, it's a fact all across the US. Don't be fooled by the spring fever you see going on around you.

Why are you aerating? Unless you have a really bad compaction problem, you don't need to do that until fall.(the best time) If you do that now you will hurt the grass that's already growing. The soil just isn't warm enough to handle that kind of cultivation.

I'm glad your thinking a lot about this and making a plan. A nice yard doesn't just happen overnight. Good luck.
The lawn is very compacted and I have no idea when the last time it was aerated was. I will take some pictures of the lawn tonight to show you the patchy areas and how thin it is. I plan to also renovate in the fall as I know this is the better time to do so but thought I would also attempt to make some improvement now. Do you think not earating and just slit seeding is a better approach? I had planned to do both as that is what I have seen reccomended the most on these forums.

And to answer your questions about why I live in this frozen wasteland, I ask myself that question every day, especially this past winter.

Page generated in 0.03626 seconds with 7 queries