So far, so good. I really don't know what to expect. Here's what I've done:
- Put down lime in early April after the last snow
- 2 weeks later I aerated the turf
- A few days later I put down pre-emergent right before a moderate rainfall
- 2 weeks later (late April) I put down weed and feed on wet grass and it didn't rain for nearly 4-5 days after.
Some observations / questions to date
- The pre-emergent worked well. However, now there are bare patches where the crab grass once was. Should I seed these areas now or wait until the fall?
- The dandelions, clover, and moss appear to have withstood the weed/feed I put down almost 2 weeks ago. Maybe I should wait longer?
- I mowed my lawn later than everyone else in the neighborhood. This was for two reasons: (1) to let my lawn thicken and (2) because my lawn wasn't growing as fast as theirs (they have professional companies treat their turf).
I have about 15,000 sqft of turf so I'm in the hole around $300. Keep in mind I also had to buy a spreader. Still not sure if doing this myself was the right idea, but willing to see how things look come the end of the summer.