View Single Post
Old 05-05-2014, 08:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
My results showed that seeding late in the year can result in germination and growth of the seed in spring. I used Pennington Smart Seed, Sun and Shade which is about 65 percent perennial ryegrass. I used plots that were 16 inches square on bare garden soil. Seed was sown in November 22, 2013. The first plot was raked up and the soil loosened and the seed was worked into the soil before planting. The second plot was seeded on top, but not loosened, nor worked in. The third plot was seed on top of 4 inches of snow on December 28, 2013.

The first sprouts were visible and about 1/2 inch tall on April 10, 2014. The Growing Degree Days(Base 40) had accumulated to 50. By May 4 the worked up-in-fall plot had the most grass sprouts, not-worked up was second, the third was seed on top of snow, (unfortunately some perennial flowers arose from the snow-covered plot in spring.).

The plots were repurposed to see if crabgrass control applied very early, when sprouts were about 2 inches tall would have a detrimental effect. Thus far, by May 4, neither Barricade nor Dimension had any effect.
Riggle,,, we had little chance for germination here in Wisco last Fall after your Nov. 22nd date...
Do you believe that the seed may have germinated before it was covered in snow for the winter, in your area?
Or did you actually warm up enough by April 10 for germination to happen then??

Page generated in 0.03636 seconds with 7 queries