View Single Post
Old 05-08-2014, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearMonkey View Post
I don't do 60 lawns a week. I might make $25 to $40 per day. I have more offers I turn away because not all are practical, and other folks offer more to get me out there to mow. I live near the city with a big population, so travel isn't always far. I just load my pusher in the back of my vehicle and go... and can hit the local neighbors after doing the original job.

I'm not looking to get rich right now (just learning on the job), I have another career I do (but I am not allowed to talk about it here on this forum because the moderator says it might be considered 'self promotion', hence why my post was removed), I do 'computer geek' stuff and earn a nice income stream doing that =D.

It's not just about the money for me, I do like the money, but really love to work, and the sun and exercise is nice! Especially when I sit behind the computer doing my main freelance work for small businesses.

Over the winter, I was going to the gym 2 hours per day. With summer here, I don't have too! I get nice exercise pushing a mower.

I use to work for a landscaping company when I was 12 and got paid $3 per hour cash. That was 25 years ago and pretty much forgot everything, so I am now refreshing what I use to know by "learning on the job", while getting paid very little and building a clientele.

Some day I will upgrade my push mower and car to something better. Right now my equipment is:

2000 Nissian Pathfinder
Old push mower with a Briggs & Stratton engine.
Old Featherlite weedeater
Shovel
Nice leather gloves
And lots ambition and love for hard honest work

With my "computer geek" profession, I am building a website and doing SEO to it and will get to the top of Search Engines for free traffic, which will bring even more business. I will also do my 'special skills' and market myself in a way no other local lawncare business can compete with. With my drive and passion, I think there is a lot of money to be made. Selling services right now for $5 isn't anything compared to where my vision is taking me.
So your working for damn near free, driving down the rates for the local area, giving people an unrealistic expectation of what service should cost and its a win win? You have another income supporting your hobby, and thats great for you. But if you were doing this as your only source of income to pay your mortgage and supporf your family, on a $5 cut, you'd be homeless. $5 cuts dont cover my expenses and im part time.

Your a lowballer. You are hurting the market your in and making more difficult for the guys that do this for a living because "its fun" and you dont need the money. Youd better off doing them for free to low income or unemployed folks, at least it would be less damaging to the market and real businesses that support multiple families.

Page generated in 0.04937 seconds with 7 queries