View Single Post
Old 05-09-2014, 07:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm interested in what your actually upselling? at $5.00 a cut I can't see how your thinking about the future. What kind of mower? a $20 lawn mower from a yard sale? A manual reel mower?? (hey, theres an idea...).

What happens when you have to replace equipment? get a repair on your vehicle? How many lawns do you have to mow to pay for your liability insurance?

At $5.00 a cut I bet most of those folks still want it every 2 weeks and short as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearMonkey View Post
I'm earning money and building a client list for the future, while doing strategic upsells. I don't have all the nice and expensive equipment as others and therefore can cut costs. Heck, I don't even burn a gallon of fuel @ $3.31 per day.

Low balling? I doubt that. If a lawn company's business strategy hinges on driving the costs up, then you already failed. This is America where everyone is going to find a cheaper way to do a better job. It's capitalism and competition. I'm sure Kmart said the same things as you when Walmart moved to town. Speaking of Walmart, shopping there sends work overseas instead of keeping jobs here in the US of A for people needing to pay their mortgage and support their families... I don't see you complaining about that.

Bottom line, if someone cheaper is going to put you out of business, then you already failed. In this economy people need to find a business plan that helps cut costs so you can pass that savings down to your customers.

That said, I also under bid on my "computer geek" business to get more clients. I'm not looking to price gouge people. If I can do the same work better for 1/2 the price, I'm going to do it.

Page generated in 0.03611 seconds with 7 queries