View Single Post
Old 05-12-2014, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
Until people stop thinking of mulch as decorative instead of functional there will always be a problem here.

Apply 3-4 inches of bark in the appropriate areas (i.e. per plant requirements) to get all the benefits you mentioned ... reduced evaporative losses, reduced soil temperature, reduced erosion. reduced weeds, organic matter inputs, etc ....

Renew your bark only when it thins ... not every year, and certainly not remove and replace every 3 years.

In my area, a redwood chipped bark at this application depth will last 5+ years before thinning to the point where more is needed (i.e. increased incidence of weeds and/or exposed soil).

The only organic mulch i really do not like is gorilla hair shredded bark.
We do a one inch refresher every year.

I had a customer 2 years ago that told me they wanted all their mulch removed and new out down. I said why? She said it gets built up to high. Told her that's why you DONT put 3 inches down every year.

So we scrapped about an inch off and I put down 2 inches. She expected is to remove ALL of the mulch. Literally take a shovel and dig everything out that is only a year old. You know the customer is always right.. I got cussed out and called a hack by a 70 year old lady. 2 inches is just going to float away blah blah blah. She said she should have hired a "real company. I said what do you think I work for beer money?

We left. And still got paid even though we only did half. Funny thing is her husband tried to apologize told me he was on my side. But it's his wife and he's not stepping on her toes lol
Posted via Mobile Device

Page generated in 0.04918 seconds with 7 queries