View Single Post
Old 05-18-2014, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseepowerstroke View Post
I may be going back to Mobil 1 on my next oil change for the Exmark. The Rotella T6 seems to be working for the diesel truck and the Goldwing. I had soot problems with the diesel truck before going to Rotella. My turbo vanes "coked up" 2 times in 36,000 miles when using dino oil. Maybe the Rotella helped or maybe it was just luck. I have been 37,000 more miles without any problems.
Diesel oils have higher amounts of detergents to clean the engines and suspend soot in the oil. Coking is what happens to oil in bearings or ring lands when an engine is shut down without adequate idling or even too low of a viscosity for the heat the engine produces. Heavy Diesel engines are a whole different ball game than comparing air cooled engines. The duties of the oil totally change. When you say your turbo coked up, do you mean it sooted up? If your oil was not CJ-4 rated that could of been part of the problem. Like from extra fuel? If a Diesel engine is not tuned properly (too much fuel) and not enough air to offset the extra fuel, that's when your engine runs higher EGTs. Manufactures build engines to perform at it's optimal performance according to what's installed from the factory. For instance my Rv is a 99 holiday rambler, it came from the factory with a 300 hp cummins. I installed a 100 hp set of Bosch injectors because the Rv seriously lacked hill climbing torque when pulling my 7k# BBQ trailer. I pull speed going up hills when most rvs are jumping down 2 gears. The engine was making power but my egts were approaching maximum safe limits pretty quickly and the engine was running super rich with the factory turbo. I installed an aruara 3000 turbo and took the boost up to around 30-35 psi and the egts went down 400 degrees and the exhaust
Smoke is non existent. My little 5.9 is probably making 425 hp and around 1000 ft/lb now. Sorry for the hijack

Posted via Mobile Device

Page generated in 0.03766 seconds with 7 queries