View Single Post
Old 06-17-2014, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Interestingly,,, the idea of Spring Seeding and/or Heat of Summer Seeding is some advice I just got from a website telling us all about Poa Supina(the shade grass)...

In planting the SEED:
We can plant in the Spring AFTER the soil temp hits 55, up until a minimum of 12 weeks(3 months) before First Frost... In reality our AFF can be Sept. 19th as it was back in the 70s and looks like is coming around again...
We had our first Zone 3 winters in about 45 years now and many of our Z4 plants died or were severely taken down a notch or 2...

So according to the website, my window of opportunity to establish Poa Supina closes just before the Hottest and Driest part of the year...
We seed in August when the ground is nice and warm and the cool-season grass germinates quickly,,, then does OK in Frost... I've experienced that FROST applies to cool season grasses when the air temps hit the mid-teens, while the ground is still warm...
As the soil itself starts to freeze, then comes dormant seeding...

Page generated in 0.03746 seconds with 7 queries