View Single Post
Old 06-29-2014, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreem3d View Post
I agree with everyone who said don't skin that sod up...you have no idea how much that will be to haul off and the labor to pick it up . I recently was subbed to do 2 yards that the main contractor did not spray first. Most of the time we use a toro dingo with a soil cultivator ( because it's small and can fit through gates)..the amount of work it took to clean up that "live" sod was horrible. I would also guess if your not proficient with a skid steer you could be digging way too much soil out...One other thing..if you watch some you tube video's of dingo soil cultivators you can see it actually buries any rocks below the finish grade . I have not had any yards with lots of rocks so I don't have real world knowledge of how good that really works ..only what I have seen in the vids.
Steve

The entire yard will be sprayed and sit 2-3 weeks. I have a spot in the back yard at home here that I planned to level out, so I used it as a test spot. I sprayed it and left it sit 3 weeks. Yesterday I went over it with my power rake and it worked good. No gobs of sod to take off. The inital pass was enough to clean the dead grass and some of the sod off and produce bare dirt. You get the dead grass and what remained of the sod all blended right back in with the soil. It was not lumpy or anything either. The guys yard I will be doing is a big area and will take time. The only thing that might take me longer is he has more rocks there than we do. I did do a test spot on his yard of 40 feet x 100 feet to get an idea of the time it will take and how many rocks there will be as well as how much sod has to be hauled off. I took about 5-6 bucket loads of sod off just the test area. It won't be nearly that bad as it will all be sprayed. Spraying that grass and leaving it sit 2-3 weeks is a huge help. The soil also needs to be fairly dry and it works much better than when wet. My biggest problem will be how the weather is. I need it to cooperate for that week,

Page generated in 0.03572 seconds with 7 queries