Thread: On Tom Vlach
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2014, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Sorry this is several months after the posting, but...larryinalabama I was at that event at Shoal Creek also, as a voluteer on the maintenance staff. I am a golf course superintendent myself. The problems with the course that you stated were simply due to a wet cold winter. No matter how much fertilizer and biostimulants you put on bermudagrass it simply won't grow until temperatures get right in the soil and until it gets darn ready to grow. As far as overseeding goes, it is a terrible decision. That course stays so wet during the winter and spring that mowing in the fairways is not possible. The rye would get to be extremely long and look horrible. Therefore members really wouldn't put up with that, and then you have the issues with transitioning the rye out of the bermuda, i.e. thin bermuda in June and July. And to address the poa in the greens and fringes, the fringes as well as the greens are bentgrass. There is not any herbicides in existence that will take out the poa and not the bent. Now with that being said, I think the course was in great shape for that time of year and for what was being asked for it to do, a senior pga event.

Page generated in 0.04074 seconds with 7 queries