Thread: Indiana
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2004, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We've been busy. We are finally down to the last couple of maintenance accounts for mulching! I know there's going to be more that roll in, but the end is in sight. Hopefully we will be digging more holes again soon.

Oh, another bit of bad news I'll pass along. This just showed up in my inbox today from Dr. Harvey Holt at Purdue Forestry. I knew it was bound to happen sometime, but I wish it hadn't. I've got a sinking feeling in my stomach right now... It was bound to happen sometime though.............. Here's the text:

"Tree-eating pest found in Indiana

The Emerald Ash Borer makes small holes in trees, which eventually kills them

Posted: 04/20/2004 11:31 am
Last Updated: 04/20/2004 11:32 am

An insect that has destroyed millions of ash trees in Michigan and Ohio has been discovered in Indiana for the first time.

The Emerald Ash Borer has been found at a campground on Barton Lake, near Fremont, in the far northeast corner of Indiana.

Tom Eickholtz of the Purdue Extension office in Steuben County sayshe discovered the beetle Monday during a weekly check of campgrounds. Bugexperts say it was only a matter of time before the beetle was found in Indiana.
Eickholtz says scientists will try to determine the extent of the infestation,then destroy all ash trees within a half-mile radius.

Earlier this month, the destruction beganof thousands of trees in Berrien County. Officials decided to stop the spreadof the ash borer after they were first discovered in St. Joseph in January.

The ash borer makes small D-shaped holes in trees. The trees die two orthree years after an infestation. The bugs came to the United States fromChina in shipping crates.

Copyright 2004 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed."

For those that are interested in learning more (you ALL should be), I have a thread over on Arboristsite (http://www.arboristsite.com) on the EAB. Nothing's been posted recently, but there are several pages of info and news articles. It's located in the Resdential forum, do a search on "EAB news and info" to find it.

Sorry about the bad news, but it looks like ashes may soon be coming to an end here in the state.....

Dan

Last edited by D Felix; 04-22-2004 at 11:12 PM.

Page generated in 0.04156 seconds with 7 queries