View Single Post
Old 05-02-2004, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Boy, you've got a lot to learn....

After seeding, the lawn should be watered 2-3 times per day for ~10-15 minutes per zone, until the grass germinates. Once it's germinated, you can cut back to probably 2 times, but up it to ~20 minutes. I'm guessing on times here, not knowing how much flow is put out.

A pulverizer is an attachment for a tractor/skidsteer that breaks the top layer of soil. It is not the same as aerating. Aerating (the correct way) takes "plugs" of soil and leaves them on the ground. The sole purpose of aerating is to help relieve compaction. When I refer to tilling, I mean roto-tilling, where the soil is literally tilled to a certain depth, usually 6-8 inches.

As for formulas, the standard referance for fertilizer is pounds of Nitrogen per 1000 square feet. The label on a bag of fertilizer refers to the NPK (Nitrogen-Phosphorus-Potassium) value. These numbers are percentages of each nutrient contained in the bag. So if you have a triple-12 (12-12-12), there is 12% N, 12% Phosphorus, and 12% Potash in the bag.

Generally, when seeding, you want around a half pound to a pound of Nitrogen per 1000 sf. Use a starter fertilizer and a little math to determine how much fertilizer you need.

As for mulch, check the label on whatever mulch you get. It should have application rates printed on it.

Do a search in this forum and the commercial landscaping forum for more info.

HTH.

Dan

Page generated in 0.03929 seconds with 7 queries