Thread: Kansas City!!!!
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2004, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Average charge for mowing? $35 and go up form there.

Don't make money mowing because there are so many people giving away there time. One of my accounts that I charge $55/mow for was jsut appraoched alst week by two companys driving around saying they would mow it for $30. It is a 22,000 ft yard with about 600 feet of bed edging and another 300 feet of sidewalk edging. Geez -- he would be there atleast an hour and he is only going to charge $30?

Applications profit margin is musch higher. But that is because it takes specialized knowledge -- and lots of it --- to do it right.

On contrast -- a 10k property would be charged about $500/year fro fertilizer and weed control. I would be on there propert a total of about 2 houirs for the whole year. A 10 k property mowing owuld get me about $1200.00 but I would be on there property about 20 hours. PLUS I'm driving a $12,000 mower and using another $1000 in equipment the entire time I am there.

biut hey -- i'm just apoor schlep who works my ass off - so i may be all wrong. i don't want to sound like i have all the answers

Similar for landscaping. Myt labor rate is much higher for landscaping jobs then mowing. But that is only once you start foing large $5k plus jobs.

Now -- these numbers are NOT real world exactly -- but they are in the ballpark and they do show the dramatic difference in profit form applications.

Of couse -- you CAN make good money mowing. And it is easy work. but -- it's not how I have formed my business. With mowing it seems the key is lots of crews. Money on volume. With me wanting to stay smaller. One crew for landscaping and anothe for mowing and me doing applikcations --- it works for me.

Kansas City Lawn Care and Landscaping

Kansas City Lawn Care and Landscaping Blog

Last edited by Hamons; 07-21-2004 at 03:45 PM.

Page generated in 0.03686 seconds with 7 queries