View Single Post
Old 01-06-2001, 10:52 PM
TLS's Avatar
TLS TLS is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: N&W Philadelphia Suburbs
Posts: 7,937
The "flexplate" is your flywheel in an automatic transmission equipped vehicle. It is a thin sheetmetal disc with a gear around the perimeter for starter motor engagement. Often the around the torque converter or crankshaft bolts, stress fractures turn into major cracks that, upon heavy torque (major acceleration) flex upon themselves and create the loud rackett we are referring to. If you stand on brake and give throttle (lots) this will occur without movement of vehicle. It also happens whenever you pull out (accelerate).

Also check motor mounts (front) and rear (transfercase) for movement. It may be your cooling fan hitting your fan shroud. Or could be your output shaft bearings in your transfer case, or your slip yoke.

2004 GMC 2500HD Reg Cab BOSS 9.2 V-Plow
2013 eXmark LazerZ X-Series 60" 34hp EFI (RED) Kohler
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!
Solo since 1980
Reply With Quote
Page generated in 0.03802 seconds with 8 queries