View Single Post
Old 10-02-2004, 03:47 PM
LawnSite Member

new mower won't start...shooting gas thru exhaust on start-up

OK...used to work on these things all the time. Here's what's happening: This is a brand new Troy-Bilt used one time, and during that one time, it hit a small stump which stalled the mower. It restarted immediately but I could feel it vibrating a bit so I knew the blade was a tad bent.

I turned the mower over to adjust the blade, then I righted everything and tried starting it. It didn't want to start, I could smell lots of gas, therefore I figured I must have flooded it when I turn it over. It has since sat a week, still won't start. Now I see when I continually pull it, the gas is being sucked right thru the carb, and out the muffler. I first thought it was gas that was in the exhaust resevoir from when I turned it over, but it's not. It's just sucking the gas right from the tank, thru the carb, and out the exhaust !!! How the hell can that happen ? I took the top end off, just to get a peek. The carb (as small as it is) checks out just fine, as it should....it's brand new. I took off the float bowl just to make sure the floats weren't stuck open or closed....and just to make sure they operate, which they do.

There's no choke on this thing, yet there appears to be the linkage there, I'm guessing it's an automatic choke....but can't see how the flap in the carb closes without pulling the linkage with you finger. It appears as if it never closes to cut off the gas flow...maybe it's supposed to do that after it's running, not sure. I propped a screwdriver in there to close it off and tried pulling it again....but gas still sucks thru the carb and out the muffler.

Can't tell ya how appreciative I'd be for any advice, there used to be a time where I could get any old mower running...but guess I'm getting old cause this thing has gotten the better of me....and it's been running for only 30 minutes !!!!! thanks in advance

Page generated in 0.04093 seconds with 7 queries