View Single Post
Old 02-11-2001, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The Lawn Guy wrote:

<b><i>You need to account for mileage from stop to stop as they will disallow commuting miles, i.e., you cannot deduct the mileage from home to your shop, or from the last job to home (or shop).</b></i>

IRS publication 463 states:
---------------------------------------------------------
<b><i>Car expenses.</b></i> You can account for several uses of your car that can be considered part of a single use, such as a round trip or uninterrupted business use, with a single record. Minimal personal use, such as a stop for lunch on the way between two business stops, is not an interruption of business use.

<b><i>Example.</b></i> You make deliveries at several different locations on a route that begins and ends at your employer's business premises and that includes a stop at the business premises between two deliveries. You can account for these using a single record of miles driven.
---------------------------------------------------------

The information that I provided was taken directly from the IRS Small Business Resource Guide.

The mileage starts counting as soon as you leave the premises where your business is located and it continues to be counted until you return to the premises where your business is located unless you deviate from your normal routing. Sales calls are handled using the same rules.

The "form" that I provided above was an adaptation of the example that can also be found on the IRS SBRG.

The IRS SBRG can be obtained from the IRS at http://www.irs.gov and it is Publication 3207 Catalog #26757M.

Page generated in 0.04167 seconds with 7 queries