Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-15-2005, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Women Landscapers?

I am one. Any others out there?

Do you hire women workers?

If you were a customer would you hire a self-employed female landscaper?

Any other comments?

Please be truthful, but not rude. Thanks for your input.
Old 04-15-2005, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

yes

Welcome, If I had seen her work, then yes she would be hired, I think if your clean and professional the jobs will come....by clean I mean, ripped jeans, trashed vehicle etc.....
Old 04-15-2005, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thumbs up "You've Got It Made"

Hi, I've always hired women rather than men / boys, customers luv women!!!!!!!!! You're generally nicer, friendly, dont use rough talk, work with your shirts on?.......Consider this 98% of the people home during the day are?....."Women"!!!!!!!!!!....How can you go wrong......"Perennials, native plants, rock gardens, should go very well in your neck of the woods"....Best of Luck & dont be a stranger- Regards Saxon
Old 04-15-2005, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yes I would hire a woman. Like No Cutting said, women do give off a certain image that men do not, which I believe does have an appeal to the female clients. Good luck this season. Welcome to LawnSite!
Old 04-15-2005, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Member

I am a independent woman mower and i make pretty good money doing it too. when i first started i thought that people would only want male mowers but i've got many customers and they are very satisfied with my work.
GOOD LUCK!
*Stephanie*
Old 04-15-2005, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for your input. This is one of my biggest fears.

Thanks for the welcome too. I guess I should introduce myself. My name is Lisa and I am 21, in my 2nd year as an Engineering Student, and have just moved away from my wonderful boss of 3 summers. I wasn't going to landscape this summer but I just cant stay away from it, so here I am trying to go on my own for the first time at the last minute. I don't have anything ready yet...no cards, no fliers, no truck yet either. But I will get it all done and quick as I can too. I guess the biggest thing holding me back is a name. The obvious is "Lisa's Landscapes" and I like it, but I'm scared they wont call just because I'm a woman. I dont want to use my last name, no real reason, it just doesn't feel right. So, any thoughts? I also have "day-mares" (nightmares) about customers calling and hanging up immediately when they hear my 12 year old girly voice(This is not unfounded. I really do have a childish voice!). My other day-mare is that they wont rent me a bobcat because they dont trust me with it! Rediculous, I know, it's just cold feet. Any thoughts, comments are welcome.
Old 04-15-2005, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Please note that I am only landscaping, not mowing. It's a tough decision, but I cant afford a trailer and I dont want to be lifting a mower in and out of the truck all day. I'm tough, but not that tough!
Old 04-18-2005, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesaverbuddy
Thanks for your input. This is one of my biggest fears.

Thanks for the welcome too. I guess I should introduce myself. My name is Lisa and I am 21, in my 2nd year as an Engineering Student, and have just moved away from my wonderful boss of 3 summers. I wasn't going to landscape this summer but I just cant stay away from it, so here I am trying to go on my own for the first time at the last minute. I don't have anything ready yet...no cards, no fliers, no truck yet either. But I will get it all done and quick as I can too. I guess the biggest thing holding me back is a name. The obvious is "Lisa's Landscapes" and I like it, but I'm scared they wont call just because I'm a woman. I dont want to use my last name, no real reason, it just doesn't feel right. So, any thoughts? I also have "day-mares" (nightmares) about customers calling and hanging up immediately when they hear my 12 year old girly voice(This is not unfounded. I really do have a childish voice!). My other day-mare is that they wont rent me a bobcat because they dont trust me with it! Rediculous, I know, it's just cold feet. Any thoughts, comments are welcome.

We've got a number of female owned installation and design businesses around..........I think it is a selling point since just like real estate, the WOMAN is the one that typically decides what house is going to be purchased, the man just signs the checks. (LOL!) (I'm actually quite serious, real estate agents will tell you this) I believe it is the Women of the household who've got a lot of say so in landscaping as well.

Good luck to you...............
Old 04-15-2005, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

There are a few women I see doing landscaping around here, mostly mowing. One landscape company has a couple crews of women Ive seen and they get rite with it. I think it take quite a determined and tough woman to take on the heat, dirty conditions and physically demanding work. I often thought a female crew would be good for us as far as attention to detail and trust worthyness so I tried a few last season for my mowing crews, but had little luck. Two of them lasted 1/2 day and the other one lasted 3 days. I mostly have 21 year aged guys and we bust butt mowing subdivisions and such. Its very hard work, but we landscape as well. I would still keep trying females for the reasons I mentioned, maybe I jusy havent found the rite ones yet. If your ever my way, give me a ring
Old 04-15-2005, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The young lady that works for me answers the phone.