Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-28-2005, 09:22 PM
David Grass David Grass is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 484
21 inch mowers are hurting America

Well, just wanted to get everyone's attention, because I am worried about our economy, energy, and our ozone layer. In fact I feel guilty using any kind of mower, but rationalize that at least I mow an acre in no time flat. I use a 54 and a 52, and even tho I am in the mountains, I hope to move to a 62 54 combo. I have heard that a 21 inch (that takes 5 to 6 times longer to do an acre) puts out the same amount of emissions as a large mower per hour! Thoughts?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-28-2005, 09:30 PM
bigz1001 bigz1001 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Logan, WV
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Grass
Well, just wanted to get everyone's attention, because I am worried about our economy, energy, and our ozone layer. In fact I feel guilty using any kind of mower, but rationalize that at least I mow an acre in no time flat. I use a 54 and a 52, and even tho I am in the mountains, I hope to move to a 62 54 combo. I have heard that a 21 inch (that takes 5 to 6 times longer to do an acre) puts out the same amount of emissions as a large mower per hour! Thoughts?
The smaller engine uses much less gas per hour and most people mowing large properties are not using these 21 inch mowers. Your argument makes no sense. Sorry. Someone driving a v6 or 4 cylinder ranger may not be able to go as fast as someone driving the larger v8, which one is going to use less gas when being used for their intended purpose? I figure this is in the wrong forum as well.

Global warming is a myth! If it isn't then explain to me the different glacial periods the earth has went through. As long as Nascar continues to be a sport where those guys burn 20+ gallons of fuel in 60 miles, I will never be convinced our enviroment is in enough danger to worry about the neighbor push mowing his lawn.

Last edited by bigz1001; 04-28-2005 at 09:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-28-2005, 09:33 PM
Zr2_thunder Zr2_thunder is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 22
The day after Tomroow
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-28-2005, 11:13 PM
Jpocket's Avatar
Jpocket Jpocket is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 2,256
I belive it's true but It is happening much too slow to affect any of us, I sayGIT ER DONE.
__________________


Chevy trucks, Exmark Lazers, enclosed trailers.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-29-2005, 03:43 AM
green thum green thum is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: rock hill s.c.
Posts: 163
:blob3: GIT ER DONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!that's funny right there i dont care who you are,
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-01-2005, 04:08 AM
Soupy's Avatar
Soupy Soupy is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: IL. (St Louis Metro)
Posts: 3,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigz1001
The smaller engine uses much less gas per hour and most people mowing large properties are not using these 21 inch mowers. Your argument makes no sense. Sorry. Someone driving a v6 or 4 cylinder ranger may not be able to go as fast as someone driving the larger v8, which one is going to use less gas when being used for their intended purpose? I figure this is in the wrong forum as well.

Global warming is a myth! If it isn't then explain to me the different glacial periods the earth has went through. As long as Nascar continues to be a sport where those guys burn 20+ gallons of fuel in 60 miles, I will never be convinced our enviroment is in enough danger to worry about the neighbor push mowing his lawn.
Yea and they also spill a lot of gas on pit road. I can't believe the tree hugger's haven't tried stopping this killer sport.....
__________________


I use Gopher Billing & Scheduling Software
Download your FREE fully functional 30-day
trial here.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-02-2005, 06:08 PM
Guthrie&Co Guthrie&Co is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: nc
Posts: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupy
Yea and they also spill a lot of gas on pit road. I can't believe the tree hugger's haven't tried stopping this killer sport.....
spill gas? if you arent any good. i have been a gasman for 4 years and i have spilt gas a grand total of twice. and those 2 times were the first and second times. there is a easy fix to that problem. fire the crappy gasman and get a good one
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-02-2005, 07:58 PM
A+ Lawncare's Avatar
A+ Lawncare A+ Lawncare is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: king george va.
Posts: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by scabyscapes
spill gas? if you arent any good. i have been a gasman for 4 years and i have spilt gas a grand total of twice. and those 2 times were the first and second times. there is a easy fix to that problem. fire the crappy gasman and get a good one
come on guys, don't ya know it takes a proffesional to gas up? scabyscapes got his bacheleor degree in gassing up cars
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-03-2005, 07:37 AM
MarcSmith MarcSmith is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 7,242
Technically speaking the gas man does not spill the gas. It overflows in to the catch can. Its the driver who spills the gas as when he pulls out of the pits at a a high rate of speed the fuels sloshes around the tank and some will find its way intot he over flow tube then onto pit road......
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-03-2005, 03:14 PM
Guthrie&Co Guthrie&Co is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: nc
Posts: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by A+ Lawncare
come on guys, don't ya know it takes a proffesional to gas up? scabyscapes got his bacheleor degree in gassing up cars
well then smart ass, you gas it and see how well you do the first time. it takes experince. not a degree. that was the point i was tring to get across. thanks for showing us how much you dont know about the subject.

the gas does flow back into the catch can and over flow there as well. but in the overflow valve there is a one way flap that is supposed to hinder the loss of fuel. it helps but its not a perfect system.

the gasman will spill the gas if the catchcan is not installed before the plugs in. the air in the tank wont have anywhere to go and it will not go in the fuel cell. not it is crutial that he is there before you.
the reason you wont see a 4 tire stop and 2 cans of fuel get anyfaster than 13 to 14 seconds is because it takes approx 7 seconds to dump 11 gallons of fuel in the car. it wont get any faster unless they 1. change the design of the dump can 2. only take 2 tires and 1 can. 3. cheat and make the can dump faster by changing it somehow.

Last edited by Guthrie&Co; 05-03-2005 at 03:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:56 AM.

Page generated in 0.11081 seconds with 7 queries