Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-19-2001, 02:08 PM
Banned

How is the market for lawncare programs only, without weekly maintenance? I know true green does well enough, but it would seem difficult to get a lot of application only customers (fert, weed control, etc.). That's where the money is. I now require all maintenance clients to have at least a fertilizer program or I won't waste my time. Any comments??? Anyone just do applications and work for themselves? Thanks!
Old 02-19-2001, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well I am going to find out for myself this year. I just sold the maintenance portion of my business.
Old 02-19-2001, 05:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That's all I do. No mowing. It really is not too hard to get fertilizer only customers. It really depends on the market by you, but overall there is a good demand for fertilizer/chemical work. Yes, you can make good money at it. Let me know how it goes!

Scott
Old 02-19-2001, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Member

one of these days I'll get the guts to get out of the maintenance end of this business. I definately make more money on the apps. but there is something to be said for having a consistant schedule with the mowing. I have a guy who works for me that I am considering making a partner in the maintenance work and I'll concentrate on only lawn apps. I just can't stand the thought of having someone else involved in my business but I'm really ready to stop doing the mowing myself. I have even considered just selling the equipment to him and then sub-out the mowing to him. What do you think about doing something like that?
Old 02-19-2001, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a spray system, a good spreader, two hand cans, a good test kit, a real nice microscope, and twenty-five years of Green industry experience. I've also found this computer to be a valuable tool.

I've spent years in the chemical aspect of this business. The only lawn I mow is my own. I'm interested in the science of this business. PROPER management ranks at the forefront of todays landscape needs.

Remember, there are plenty of companies offering the "candybar and potato chip" diet, and plenty of people willing to buy on price alone. Without sound agronomic practice, I feel I must warn you, you are in for the hassle of your life
Old 02-20-2001, 06:21 AM
Banned

Thanks for the replies guys, I am encouraged! Garry, I appreciate your concern and you are correct. I do have a solid understanding of agronomy, soil science, plant pathology, etc. and I agree that mgmt. is key.

I think that to make the transition from full maintenance to apps. only I would advertise apps. only services while still doing full maint. until I had enough apps. only clients to fill my shcedule.

David- I hear ya! This year I decided to have no employees. I am able to pick the best 75 out of 110 clients, keep them and service them by myself. I don't want to deal w/ employees this year, but I don't want to mow forever!
Old 02-20-2001, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Member

I've been doing lawn applications for 16 years and I love it. Been on my own for 5 and you can become a very desired person in your field. Think of how many services do not really offer that personalized service because they are in a production mode. You do not have to be a super large service to make a good living. Strive on making a customer base that will never ever will think of switching to another service because you're the man and no one else.
Use you buying tools and good turf management skills and you
will make money. And do not give your services away. You have to make living. A shopper will shop again next year.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i'm thinking about starting out with applications without offering mowing. i just can't see how one can make money mowing these days. would rather spend 2k to 3k on a good aerator, rather than a mower. and i think applications could be more flexible to somebody working another job while trying to get going full-time, because your not gonna have to be out there every single week. i figure it would take longer to get to that "quit my night job" point. however, i would think that it would be easier to pick up customers that want applications rather than grass cutting. anyone else start out this way the past few years?
Old 03-14-2012, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by inzane View Post
i'm thinking about starting out with applications without offering mowing. i just can't see how one can make money mowing these days. would rather spend 2k to 3k on a good aerator, rather than a mower. and i think applications could be more flexible to somebody working another job while trying to get going full-time, because your not gonna have to be out there every single week. i figure it would take longer to get to that "quit my night job" point. however, i would think that it would be easier to pick up customers that want applications rather than grass cutting. anyone else start out this way the past few years?
Inzane

I am a Fert & Squirt only guy. My advice is to find the best Fert & Squirt Company in your area and Train under them until the Economy turns around. This is not the best time to start a business and the Training you get working for the man will make you that much more successful when you do go in Business. Un-like Mowing, Fert & Squirt is a SKILLED TRADE, treat that way by getting the proper training.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

well, 1994 to 2004 i worked as a lawn applicator..(for a few different companies) so 10 years experience as an applicator in my area, and even though i changed jobs in 04' still kept up apps on my on 2 lawns all this time. i feel confident i have the skill to start-up, and know what this kinda work entails. not gonna sit here and say i know it all or anything like that though, just feel like im ready. i know with the economy its rough to get started, but this type of service is still in big demand around here from what i can tell.. (metro atlanta area) i always did good work when i was an applicator, the customers liked me. i listened to their concerns, always made good on my promises. I can't see going to work for somebody else doing something that i know that i could do on my own. i managed routes with large amt's of customers.. i would rather just do it on my own, not expecting it to be easy either. i did talk to trugreen last week, they offer 13 bucks an hour for a 4 day work week. non-compete agreement. hmmm. i don't think so..

i have got another 3 weeks off of work and i'm studying up for the pesticide exam at this time. i may feel things out for another year before i get out there.. but who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Inzane

I am a Fert & Squirt only guy. My advice is to find the best Fert & Squirt Company in your area and Train under them until the Economy turns around. This is not the best time to start a business and the Training you get working for the man will make you that much more successful when you do go in Business. Un-like Mowing, Fert & Squirt is a SKILLED TRADE, treat that way by getting the proper training.