Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-19-2001, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Im following up on a thread I saw posted by another member here. Is there a way one can put a co. profile on CD to send to customers...kinda like what CLIP does with their demo with different icons to click on. How can this be done? Thanks
Old 02-20-2001, 08:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, there is. I had posted a thread like that somewhere here, and got a few good reponses. If you have a CD burner, you can make a slideshow of images through easyphoto (turns out I already had a copy of the software, too - comes with Adobe Photodeluxe, which is throw-in software that comes with new scanners). The nice part is, Easyphoto will load itself onto the CD as well, as part of the slide show. It can be done on a floppy, too, but as I'm sure you know, you'll have to make the slideshow much smaller, and with smaller images.

Then you have the pictures, and the software to present them in a slide show. When I saw how easy it was, I decided to give it a go this season (I thought I wouldn't have time for it this year). Then you can pick up a CD Stomper or a similar peoduct from HP and print out some nice CD labels for the CDs.

Then you're ready to go.

If you don't already have Photodeluxe, I'd see if you can pick it up on E-bay or something. It has some really useful tools and is very inexpensive - all the graphics on my website were done using it. Then you can make an image with text, or have multiple pictures on one 'slide'.
Old 02-20-2001, 08:55 AM

There is more than 1 way to Skin a Cat!

Hello Everybody:

You can have a lot more flexibility by using a HTML Editor & then either use a Program to fix it where one of your pages is set up as a self executing .ini file. There is quite a few that are Free at some of the Larger freeware websites.

I have decided against that & opted for a E-Book that has a Self Executable file. Nothing installs on the Hardrive it runs on it's own. All you have to do build the Html Pages & have the Pictures also in the same folder. Then point the E-book editor to the folder with the HTML pages & Pictures.

Then the whole process only takes a few minutes to process after doing it a few times. The reason I opted for this is it's simpler & I could also put on floppy to obtain the same results. That way I have both options a CD or floppy. The floppy of course will not hold as much. Another advantage is the E-book can also be downloaded from the Internet, this is what I'm doing now.

Now I'm in the process of building a subweb on my puter in Front Page 2000 & there is a Freeware Addon for FP2K that is made by Strictly British that when you finish it, you just click on convert to CD & it is fixed where when you put the CD in it has a Auto Run .ini file. Then it's running on it's own.

The advantages are simple to the above it is really unlimited to what you can do with webpages & with your Pictures on there you could even have it talk to the people while showing them the pictures. You can have anything on there that is on the web including Flash 5, butt remember if they don't have the plug ins such as flash 5 then you have to put it on the CD & they might not like that. Because the plugins have to install on the Puter as far as I know, LOL I could be wrong. I'm still in the learning process myself! :-)

I'm using the E-book & I instantly get over 800% better results in obtaining potental customers. You can purchase E-Book programs anywhere from about $50 & up. Mine was about $50 & I'm going to upgrade to a new one that is I think about $50 more.

Now if you have FP2K Html editor I would get the Freeware addon & use it.

I personally think you need a litlle more than a slide show, because you got to go to the trouble anyway, so go whole hog & build it with more interaction with the customers. You could go as far as a wave file for your intro, show them a list of your services with pictures of you actually doing the work, show them your contract, explaining it as they view it & the rest is left up to you.

Folks really get into it & that can give you the edge far above the rest. It will virtually save many hours of work & as you get feedback from your customers then you can further improve on the Presentation.

It's all about Making Money in the shortest time. It's all about increasing your Sales to Bid Ratio thus Making you Mo Money!
Old 02-20-2001, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It sounds like the route you're taking will certainly give a higher quality presentation. It also sounds like there would be a lot more to learn. I just finished my first website, did it with FP2K. Great software, easy to learn.

I think you're right that people may not like having to load up software from you just to run your CD. But I also would like to have music playing in the background while they peruse the photos.

How did you measure the 800% better results?
Old 02-20-2001, 10:56 AM

Stonehenge, I lied on the 800%? It's an Example!

Hello:

I for years have been trying to build a successful E-mail list at my website & no matter what I did I couldn't get more than 2 or 3 people to sign up a week max?

I tried everything, because at that rate I was getting the folks it was not working & thus not worth while sending out a Newsletter to just a few 100. I'm on AOL & to get on the White Spammers list it takes a act of God to accomplish this task. A white Spammer with them is someone like me that has a Opt in E-mail list, when you do a mass E-mail they kill your account before you send them all out. Sometimes they shut you down as as little as 25 E-mails. Then after hours on the phone, they Grant you this Title, but it's a tough title to keep. Then you can get back on line again.

So this is lot of trouble for a few hundred? After me doing it the Uneducate JawJa Redneck way for so long. I tried a different approuch.

I made a E-book & offered it for free when signing up. It has info in it off my website & a little extra. It also has my sponsors in their. A wonderful sales tool & that is what it is.

I started it Sunday before last, OK I'm now getting a average of 6 to 7 a day sign ups. This past Sunday I had 13 to sign up in less than 18 hours? So 800% is a low figure. Compairing it to 2 to 3 a week for years in the past?

This can still be applied to presentations & not a problem. Yes it wasn't quite on target but it will get the same results.

You might say no it will not, maybe? I think different if you have doubts, then do this. Say you got a lot of nice pictures Before & After you did work that alone is percieved value to folks. I buy books all the time with pictures in it with decks, pools, flower beds & etc...

Now you say it will not work, OK now that you got all that in there, put in a bunch of tips for the lawn & Garden, still not enough put stuff in there about taking care of the Equipment, not enough yet, shoot I don't know put stuff in there about Yo Grannies best Reciepies.

If you have deals worked out with other contractors in a related industry, put them in their as your recomendations & you can get referall fees there too! Have it where they call you first for other contractors. You could do it in a way where they call you first, so you know to give the contractor a heads up & to let him know you get the referall.

Just give it more value than just a presentation, let them keep it & off & on over a period of time they will look at it for 1 reason or another? It might be 6 months later & they look at it & decide to give you a call.

I think the 800% would be on the low side? Tell them to keep it for the tips or Aunt Wilmas reciepies? Later they might give it to a friend or 2 also?

How many of your competitors do this? If I was out there today doing this, I would be dressed very nice, have a nice vehicle, a portable Laptop, portable printer, yes even a fax machine. I would have it all where I could close the sale on the spot.

There is guys outhere that have nice Landscaping programs, that they can take digital Pic of house & put it in the Landscape program & have all the figures in the program, for labor & pricing of materials, etc... They can accomplish all this in little time & Print out a Professional looking bid right there on the spot. The same can be done with irrigation, lawn service, Landscaping, Swimming pools or whatever?

While they are looking at this you are walking around getting measurements & taking notes on your bid. Then when presentation is over you crunch the numbers.

If every car salesman told you that they would get back with you later, they would not be much of a salesman, would they? Prices do not change that much on materials just use a safe figure. Your Presentation will WoW them enough. Just close the sale or bid & get them to sign the dotted line.

BTW, there are killer addons for FP2K that are free, Check out Jimco addons & check out the Strictly British addon for converting you web onto a Auto Run CD?

The FP2K Newsgroup is a killer what I call Forum & these guys forgot more than MSFP2K Tech Sevice ever thought about. They are very helpful & they are on the cutting edge of the internet.

Do it all on the spot & it will work? :-)

If you like contact me & I try to help mower?

It's all about Making Money!
Old 02-20-2001, 12:01 PM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
http://www.scansoft.com/products/show/
Old 02-20-2001, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

And then after all that work that Grassmaster just described you will get a property manager who received your CD and says "well we got a bid from Two Guys in a Camaro Mowing and they are $10 a month cheaper". Almost makes you want to go O.J. on them.
Old 02-20-2001, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We make up a slide show each year and burn it onto a CD. We also add music. It sets us apart from our competitors. This year we are using them as our business cards. Costs us about .30$ each. We print a nice label. It looks good.

The reasons I like it are it sets us apart. It can and will be passed around at the office.

We send a new version to everyone from the previous year who "made the disc". They show all their friends and co-workers. We have clients who ask to be included in the next years disc!

It's cheaper than a web site. And, we think it works better.

BTW: we only do hardscaping

Rex