Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-19-2005, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Exmark (Pumps Power Loss)

I have and Exmark Z. When the mower begins to warm up, the right rear wheel has almost no power. The left rear well work correctly. After cutting for an hour or so on hills and inclines, the left rear wheel looses some of it's power. They hydraulic tank cap has fluid around it, and on the tank. It can get so bad as to drip onto the exhaust, and cause it to smoke. I had a Lesco, and it did the same thing before buying the Exmark. I had take the mower to the dealer a year ago to have the loss of fluid looked at, and they said that was normal? I have tried the cap super tight, and snug. Still leaks!
Has anyone had the same issue that can point me to a fix?

Thanks for you input.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang1993
I have and Exmark Z. When the mower begins to warm up, the right rear wheel has almost no power. The left rear well work correctly. After cutting for an hour or so on hills and inclines, the left rear wheel looses some of it's power. They hydraulic tank cap has fluid around it, and on the tank. It can get so bad as to drip onto the exhaust, and cause it to smoke. I had a Lesco, and it did the same thing before buying the Exmark. I had take the mower to the dealer a year ago to have the loss of fluid looked at, and they said that was normal? I have tried the cap super tight, and snug. Still leaks!
Has anyone had the same issue that can point me to a fix?

Thanks for you input.
It sounds like the tank is over filled. The cap on that tank is vented, which is probley where all the oil is coming from.

If you look inside the oil tank, after running the unit, does it look like it has alot of little air bubbles in it?
Old 06-20-2005, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Member

According to the instructions on top of the tank, it said to fill up to the top of the baffle. That is what I have been doing. I have not yet opened the tank after running. I have normally been waiting till everything cools off. Thanks for responding.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang1993
According to the instructions on top of the tank, it said to fill up to the top of the baffle. That is what I have been doing. I have not yet opened the tank after running. I have normally been waiting till everything cools off. Thanks for responding.
I run all Dixie Choppers a 1/4" below the baffle,Seems to help with the spit-out around the cap.
This little bit doesn't hurt a thing.
Also check all return lines,If one is a little loose it may cause air to enter the system and foam the oil. A return line doesn't have to leak oil to cause a power loss to a pump.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!

Last edited by Restrorob; 06-20-2005 at 01:08 PM.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input. I will check the lines to make sure they are snug.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

the fluid should be filled to the baffle line when the machine is hot, try the lines like rob said and see how that goes