Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-17-2005, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Any Scott's Pine grower out there?

I started a 1,000 last year in the high desert and they made it through their first Summer. I wanted to talk to someone that also grow Scott's Pines, and where you live.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Anyway out of the 1000 I planted 600 are still alive. The type I planted is Lake Superior Blue, I live in the high desert out side of San Diego, We had the hottest Summer on record last year so I know that they will make it out here, as long as I can keep ahead of the rabbits.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Holy smokes! only 600 still alive? i planted 1400 fraser firs and lost 9. what makes it so hard out there?
Old 11-09-2006, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

sounds to me like he is dry-landing them

if you are growing christmas trees without irrigation I don't think you can make money

no irrigation is too many years to grow

too inconsistant of growth

too many times to shear

on and on.....

and that loss rate can't be profitable
Old 11-11-2006, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have drip running to all of them each seedling gets 1 gallon two times a week. When I first planted them they all look good for a couple of months then they started to drop like flies. The only thing I can think of is that they did not get planted fast enough. They shipped them to me two weeks early and I was not ready to plant. So then I had to store them till I was ready, so I emptied my refrigerator and crammed 1000 seedlings in my refigerator! I had to keep the doors shut with duct tape! I don't know why they sent them early.The high desert is nothing like Lake Superior "thats the variety I planted" I wanted to plant a variety that was not common out here. There is a lot of people from the midwest and east cost that live out here so I know a have a strong market. Nobody grows Scotts out here.
Old 11-11-2006, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huh
sounds to me like he is dry-landing them

if you are growing christmas trees without irrigation I don't think you can make money

no irrigation is too many years to grow

too inconsistant of growth

too many times to shear

on and on.....

and that loss rate can't be profitable
you would be incorrect. wholesale xmas trees is very profitable! we only shear once a year and growth is good from year to year. it does take 6-7 year before you can harvert but if you plant every year then you can harvent every year as well.
Old 11-11-2006, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was not saying trees can not be profitable, I am strongly considering starting a Christmas tree farm of my own

what I ment is that dry-landing them in a desert area, and that high loss rate for seedlings are a profit killer

since he now told us he does have irrigation then there is some other issue, perhaps as he said with planting time....but still that is a high loss rate and a profit eater

I can't believe you shear only 1 time a year.....that is a profit MAKER there.....the farms I have been on in East Texas they sheared 3 times a year on Virginia Pines....do you use a Saje or hand shear.....I was taught to hand shear so that is what I will do in the future....I took a graduate level Christmas farm management class at Stephen F. Austin State U. in the forestry department....It was me and 1 other student and the Professor who had his own farm....he showed us EVERYTHING.....also right across the fence line was another farm he had started then the owner decided to "take over".....it looked like a crappy pulp wood farm....it was a real learning experience to see how weed control does matter for growth and a nice even lower skirt.....the class was 4 hours a day 4 days a week for half the summer....with 2 students i HAD to do my reading and homework or look like an unprepared moron the next day in class.....it was a great way to learn and from then on i have dreamed of a tree farm.....now I believe I am very close to that chance

I am now in far West Texas thinking about Blue Spruce and Afgan Pines....but I have not worked with Blue Spruce and they are slower growing....BUT I would be the ONLY Blue Spruce Christmas tree grower in Texas so that would mean something....also there is not another tree farm for 250+ miles around me so the "choose and cut" is wide open as well

plus cheap land and a ton of sun

I hope your next planting goes better desert rose .....and I think you should talk to a local forestry agent to see what might have killed those trees....check water quality and maybe check for disease by digging a few up and looking at roots.....that is a high loss rate

post pics if you have them

one other thing.....when you plant make sure the roots are not pushed into the hole and then push back pointing up (J rooting).....this happens in vineyards when people have "planting parties" where friends and family (and some even PAY) come out and help plant a couple of acres by hand.....the "help" just pokes the vines in the hole and if you look all of the root tips are pointing up....the vines will grow for a month or 2 then die, because they out grew the roots and the roots are not growing much because they will not grow up

Last edited by huh; 11-11-2006 at 04:56 PM.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey HUH, Thanks for the advice and encouragement. Having a Christmas tree farm is a great investment and a nice tax write off, my tax man found a form just for this type of business. And watching the trees grow is very exciting! I jump up and down when I see a inch of growth! I think you where very lucky to take that class and learn so much about a Christmas tree farm. There's nothing like that out here so I'm on my own. I will take my next casualty to the county Agricultural guy and see whats up and why there dying. I know I did some J looping, its hard rocky ground out here and some holes I should have taken more time with my digging bar.