Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-24-2005, 11:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Can you "Fire" Clients

Every year I ask myself this same question. Will there be enough clientel next year for me? It always seems that competition is stronger, and costs are going up. As much as I want to get rid of some PITA's!, why would i fire a client, when i know that i need more clients next spring.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:35 PM
Senior Moderator

It's the end of the season almost, and if you stuck it out this long with a pita, you might as well keep them a little longer. No need to make a decision now. Wait until March to weigh your options, are you getting enough new calls and landing more clients? If so, then your decision is easy, kick the pita to the curb.
But you also need to think of this... sometimes holding onto a pita is doing more harm than good, whether you have a replacement in line or not. Sometimes you can't afford to keep them around any longer.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

a client who is not profitable, is not worth keeping. i eliminated about 10 or so, in the last 2 weeks. i will replace them easily. the growing stage is= take one step back, two steps foward, repeat process. i refuse to keep any client who is not profitable, or causes me grief.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Member

I agree with both of you, and thank your for responding. But lets face it, our industry is full of lowballers. Some of them really do great work, and for pennies. I just want to make sure i'm in business next year. I spread flyers in the spring always. Should I cut them loose.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

drop them like a fat chic when the buzz wears off. i just had this conversation with my wife, i told her i lost around 8-10 clients in the last week or so, she goes, " i know they are a bit unreasonable, but try not to burn too many bridges." i said, " listen to me einstien, a pita client is not a bridge at all, but a dead end."
Old 10-24-2005, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Member

bobby, you are always cutting people loose. Thats great for you, but not all of us have an endless supply of clients.